What Is Black Mold?

Black mold can be a nuisance, especially when it appears in your home or business. However, with the right tools and techniques, it's possible to remove black mold from surfaces effectively. Here's why it is important:

  1. Allergic reactions: Black mold can cause symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing, red eyes, and skin rashes in people who are sensitive to mold.
  2. Respiratory Issues: Inhaling mold spores can cause respiratory symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. People with existing respiratory conditions, such as asthma or allergies, may experience more severe symptoms.
  3. Neurological Issues: Long-term exposure to black mold has been linked to neurological problems, including headaches, memory loss, and difficulty concentrating.
  4. Immune System Effects: Black mold can weaken the immune system, making it harder for the body to fight off infections and illnesses.
  1. Infant and Child Concerns: Infants and children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of black mold. They may experience developmental issues, respiratory problems, and weakened immune systems as a result of exposure. 

In conclusion, black mold can cause a range of health concerns for those who are exposed to it. If you suspect that you have black mold in your home, it's important to take action to remove it as soon as possible to protect your health. This may involve hiring a professional mold remediation service or taking steps to improve ventilation and reduce moisture levels in your home.

Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips

How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?

Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Appleton immediately. 

If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (920) 832-1110

Understanding Mold

When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:

  • Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
  • Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
  • Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
  • Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
  • Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
  • Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.

Locally Owned Company with National Resources

SERVPRO of Appleton is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 2,200 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large-scale disasters.

Visit our updated page

We are proud to serve our local communities:

  • Appleton
  • Neenah
  • Menasha
  • Little Chute
  • Kaukauna
  • Kimberly
  • Fox Cities